-->

Tuesday, 22 May 2012

Sketches: McQueen

In my last post I shared my final pieces of my school art project. My designs were heavily influenced by Alexander McQueen's work, which I had seen in New York last summer, at the 'Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty' exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum. Here are my sketches, scanned from my sketchbook. They were drawn in pencil, then coloured with watercolour and some redrawn with pen:













The Alexander McQueen exhibition at the Met is my favourite exhibition I've been to to date - it was an incredible collection of McQueen's work, spanning his first collections to his last. I loved 'The Girl Who Lived in a Tree' best, which combined soft flowing tulle with military uniform-esque sleeves and jewels echoing the riches of old India.

McQueen's work cannot be classed purely as fashion...for me, his pieces are wearable art. They are theatrical, sculptural and tell stories. In this light, they are costumes just as much as they are fashion garments.

You can see all the fantastic pieces displayed at the 2011 exhibition in the book: Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty at the Metropolitan Museum.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog! I love these sketches - would've done anything to go to that exhibition!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louise, welcome! Thank you :) The exhibition was really fantastic, and it's coming to the V&A in London next year! Have a look here... http://goo.gl/DyUqik

      Delete