-->

Sunday, 26 August 2012

Broadway in NYC

How could I go to New York City and not go to Times Square and Broadway?! It's a great place for shopping as well as seeing musicals, and as the 'crossroads of the city' it is no wonder it was packed with people on every sidewalk!

I saw Sister Act there last year, but sadly I didn't get a chance to see a musical this year (however my cousin's off-broadway production with 'Broadway for All' was great - learn more about that project here!). There are so many productions on in this world famous theatre district - here are the ones I most want to see!


1. Wicked!

Definitely number one on my wishlist! I've become hooked on the soundtrack and can't stop singing 'Popular' in my head where ever I go. This famous musical tells the story of the two Witches of Oz, how one came to be called 'good' and the other 'wicked'. I've never been a huge fan of the Wizard of Oz story, but this award-winning musical is a must see for me!


2. Porgy and Bess

This opera by Gershwin has been re-arranged to include more dialogue, bigger dance moves and a shorter running time - modernising this once very popular production to attract a new audience. Critics have described 'Porgy and Bess' as "emotionally engaging" and Audra McDonald's performance as "fantastic" - although they warned this production was not for fans of the original opera version!

3. Annie

This was the one of the first musicals I saw - I got the DVD for Christmas when I was about 9 and watched it over and over again! The new Broadway production opens this October. Costume designer Susan Hilferty previously worked on 'Wicked' and 'Spring Awakening' on Broadway.

4. Mary Poppins

This cheerful story about the adventures of British nanny Mary Poppins, based on the books and 1964 film has been running since 2006, after a very successful production in London's West End. Nominated for Best Musical.

5. The Lion King

Yes, I've already seen it in London, and I know the songs off by heart, but you can never see The Lion King too many times. This fantastic show will inspire audiences of all ages - I highly recommend!

So have you seen any of these productions? Please tell me what you thought of them, or if there are any not on my list that you would recommend! 

Post in the comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment