-->

Monday, 17 June 2013

Costume Designs for "The Madwoman of Chaillot"

Research images - Ladurée Patisseries
This term at LCF we were given the text of "The Madwoman of Chaillot" by Jean Giraudoux, to design and makes costumes for.

The play is set in a Parisian café in the 1950s and features an eclectic cast of characters ranging from the Prospector, convinced he has found oil under Paris, to the Countess who dresses head-to-toe in "the grand fashions of 1885".

Some of the characters, such as the Baron, have been coming to the café "for thirty years", so I chose as my concept the idea that the characters have become part of the scenery of this absurd café, and the café, in particular it's food and drink, has become an integral part of them. The café is described by the President as "not a café, it's a circus!" so I also used inspiration from vintage circus photographs to create a playful, frivolous and colourful look.

Here are my final designs:




 

I made the costume I designed for Irma the waitress - I'll post some photos after my presentation tomorrow! In the meantime, here are some "in progress" photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment