-->

Saturday, 13 July 2013

Working on the Tudor gown

Here are a few photos of the work I've been doing on the Tudor costume gown - the final layer!!! The costume is really nearly finished, which is incredibly exciting after months of slow progress. I've been working on the sleeves and ruff as well, and those will be ready to show here very soon too!

The gown is a coat-like garment, worn over the kirtle it ties at the front, and looks quite modern with it's folding collar and short puff sleeves. I have made it from a brown polyester fabric that is slightly shiny to give the effect of a more luxurious material.

NOTE: The pattern for the gown bodice is from the "Fitted English Gown" pattern in the book The Tudor Tailor, however the skirt is draped therefore does not follow the pattern from the book.

 
The gown bodice, which will fit the body quite tightly, made up without the sleeves

 
Draping the skirt - as suggested in the wall painting, I have used large box pleats to create a voluminous skirt. Although it will have a train, it won't be as long as it is in these photos!

 
Here is the process of creating these super cute puff sleeves! They are made up from three layers, a boned lining layer, a gathered 'puff' layer and finally six slashes.

If all goes to plan, I will be posting photos of the finished costume very, very soon! Fingers crossed!

To learn more about the incredible wall paintings that are inspiring this Tudor costume, you can visit the Much Hadham Forge Museum in Hertfordshire: www.hadhammuseum.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment