-->

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Coming to the End of Summer...

 
This weekend in London we experienced an overnight season switch. The lovely sunshine we (very surprisingly!) had throughout July and August has been replaced by annoyingly persistent light rain, grey clouds and puddles.

But it's not all bad! Minus the rain, autumn is actually my favourite season. The return of knitwear, coats, scarves and cosiness...nature's beautiful warm colours...everything to do with this season is comforting and inspiring. Autumn and September bring around a natural time for transition and growth. With the new academic year comes a time to reflect on the achievements of the previous twelve months (which we so easily overlook in the moment), a chance to re-evaluate direction and set new goals with a renewed sense of motivation.

This past year has been the most exciting so far for my career. Finally I am studying the course I have dreamed of being on since the age of 13, surrounded by the most inspiring and motivating tutors and fellow students. I have learnt so much there already, with my love for costume becoming stronger every day. Since last September I have worked on three musicals, made a full Tudor costume for a museum, worked at the Royal Ballet School and with a professional tutu-maker from the Royal Opera House. My design work for Showtime Stitches has been noticed by a number of local businesses: my handmade items were stocked in Love 13, a beautiful local shop, and I was commissioned by The N21 Festival to create a bespoke print for their Christmas Fair merchandise and advertising. I don't often take the time to sit and think about what HAS been, but I realise now that it is important to take in and acknowledge openly what you achieve. Congratulate yourself for your hard work and the amazing results that come from it, because it is you who put in the effort and took the necessary steps to make these things happen. Seeing your dreams come true is the most wonderful feeling, and to think that all of these projects happened in my first year of university, most when I was just 18 years old, makes me so excited for the opportunities my second and third years, and life in the big wide world as a graduate, will bring. On a personal note, after a frightening week involving a family member suffering potentially life-threatening illness, I am reminded of the value of life and the importance of thankfulness and gratitude. Embrace every minute of every day, every opportunity, every chance to share your passion and positive energy with others, because you have no idea where it could take you.

My second year at London College of Fashion is already set to be filled with engaging and challenging academic projects alongside many insightful and rewarding internships. I am currently working as an intern for Meg Andrews, Antique Costume and Textiles - I have only been there two days, yet I have learnt tonnes and developed my skills already.

I will continue to update my blog with the work I do and the inspiration I find. I have plenty of costume-related things to share from my fun-filled summer, including:

- 'La Rondine' at the Royal Opera House
- 'The Sound of Music' at the Open Air Theatre
- Shopping for antiquities in the French "brocantes"
- Treasure hunting in a Victorian haberdasher hoarder's house
- Visiting museums in London

...amongst many other things!

I very much look forward to sharing, in the meantime I hope you all have a fantastic end to the summer. Take the time to appreciate your achievements and work of the past year and choose your goals for the next.

In another 365 days, you could be anywhere you set your mind on.

No comments:

Post a Comment