-->

Saturday, 1 March 2014

New York City Diary Part 2 - MoMA

So much for the weekly updates, right?! I have been so busy with my internship and filling up my time in New York City that I have barely had a chance to open my laptop! I'll start where I ended on my last post...

On my second day in New York, I spent the afternoon at the MoMA. I first visited it two and a half years ago and loved it for its range of artwork, styles and mediums. Over the past Autumn and Winter, an exhibition has been on there exploring the work of production designer for film, Dante Ferretti.



Ferretti has worked on over 50 feature films since starting his career in 1959. The exhibition showcased some of his most striking screen work alongside beautifully intricate set drawings and plans. Through Ferretti's show-reel we were able to see how the craft of production design for screen has developed over the last 60 years, with the arrival of visual effect technology. Alongside projections of film clips, drawings and photographs, some actual set pieces were also on show.


The exhibition trail (it is set over three floors) begins with a huge clock from Hugo (2011). I loved Hugo for its costume design, production design, score and cinematography... everything came together to create a magical and warm world you would be desperate to sink into. Ferretti's work is the perfect recipe of historical detail and contemporary boldness, combined to create a fantastically theatrical world that is still completely believable. Here are a few stills from Ferretti's films - make sure you watch if you haven't already!

Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
Gangs of New York (2002)
Hugo (2011)
Filming for Sweeney Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
More information at MoMA.org

No comments:

Post a Comment