-->

Wednesday, 16 April 2014

Tudor Costume Progress

The Tudor Costume is coming together nicely! So far I've half constructed the doublet and trunkhose, done a fitting and now I need to do the final seams and more detailed pieces like the panes and puff sleeves... Here are a few photos of my progress so far, more to come soon!

Here I was cutting out the front pieces, and tailor tacking the seam lines. 
The jerkin in the painting has three large slashes on either side. To create these in a solid and neat way, I made a facing for each. This is mostly because the fabric is very thin and frays easily - for a costume that needs to last quite a while, it is more practical to make large slashes this way, rather than leaving a raw edge.
I am makign the doublet and jerkin as one garment. Underneath the jerkin slashes you can see the doublet, so I have used the same fabric as I will use for the sleeves underneath the black silk. I tacked this panel in place.
After these stages, I needed to add canvas to these front panels, to give structure. The back pieces are plain, but when it comes to sewing the seams I will add some piping to emphasise the silhouette.

To learn more about the incredible wall paintings that are inspiring this Tudor costume, you can visit the Much Hadham Forge Museum in Hertfordshire: www.hadhammuseum.org.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment